Now More Than Ever: The History of Chicago

We can meet in this thread to discuss the movie. I just think that a band with such a great history, so enduring over decades with so many hits and classic albums, deserves to have their history recognized and told honestly. I really think that's what we're going to get, and Peter Pardini has presented it in a very engaging style with interviews, vintage footage, and cinematic recreations with actors.

As RL fans, we all want to understand why his material was marginalized in the 80s. We'll hear his story, and a variety of other perspectives, and come to some closure.  

You need to be a member of Robert Lamm: Official Fan Forum to add comments!

Join Robert Lamm: Official Fan Forum

Email me when people reply –

• Hi Stephanie, an excellent review. I have yet to see the film - I'm guessing that from 1980 onwards there wasn't much to talk about? Did we get any closer to the 'Robert we don't want you writing songs anymore? quote - In Danny Seraphine's book he alludes to the impact of drugs and the rock 'n roll lifestyle on the band - was this touched upon?

In the early days RL was strident in his view that the band was to be identified by the logo and no photographs of the band - why did that change? Why did they compromise this? Some artists like Neil Young stay the course even if it means selling less records and in Mr Young's case making some very poor records.

I'll let you know my thoughts when I've seen it. Thanks

• Lee says that it was the decision of the video director to put Peter in the spotlight, so they were victims of "video killed the radio star" in that sense. Everyone except Peter was unfairly treated in some way during the 80s. I was getting teary when Lee talks candidly about drugs, and I thank the gods he is still with us. Robert talks a little about how the culture had changed so much then, so the band had to change too.

BTW, this is wonderful demo with a lead vocal by Lee. State Of Mind demo  

• Actually better than I expected. Although I wish they would have spent some time on the Carnegie Hall shows and also going into the studio for Hot Streets off the heels of TK's passing.

Not sure who came off as the bigger douchebag for not participating- PC or Chumplin.

Nice job featuring TK throughout. Nice to see how much importance / appreciation all the guys still show when talking about him. A lot of lesser bands would have short memories.
    • Hi Pete, glad to see you've used the name Chumplin. The reality I guess is that PC saw this as a stepping stone to a solo career in the middle of the road. TK & RL were the driving forces in the early days. Good to see LL taking a more prominent role too, although not sure about his vocals and song writing.

• Yeah Chumplin really came off as ungrateful for having his career res erected but the worst might have been David Foster calling himself "great"......Although I did like the fact he actually admitted that he might have "softened their sound too much". Quite the understatement to say the least but at least he admitted it.
    • I agree with you Pete. It seems to me that Champlin comes across as the bigger douchebag. It's one thing to decline an interview and the viewer can attribute whatever reason he or she likes to it. It's quite another to make a snarky comment like Champlin did in saying, "My father taught me that if you can't say anything nice..." That leaves no doubt as to his feelings. It would have been better if he'd just kept his mouth shut.
  • 'we all want to understand why his material was marginalized in the 80s' Hi Stephanie that's always intrigued me how the core of the band relinquished control and RL was left adrift to appear in those schlocking pop videos with Bill Champlin who in my view hijacked a career going nowhere on the back of Chicago. I could understand one or two naff records but to cast aside RL's songwriting was always a mystery. In the days before the internet information about new records was sketchy so I'd buy Chicago new music with little knowledge of who wrote what. In my view this has detracted from all their innovative records 69-75 - a hit by Varese indeed. The film from the 80s holds nothing for me.

• Andy, I don't know anything about BC other than what I hear on the records with him, a few of which I like very much: Stone of Sisyphus and Night & Day. Plus, his pre-Chicago band, the Sons of Champlin were very progressive. Although I think Lou Pardini does a much better job in their shows now. 

Regardless, the movie is a chance to see the big picture and to celebrate all of their history and survival for so many decades. All the hits have helped make possible keeping them on the road and making new music!! To me, getting new music and not just playing the classics means a lot. I wish there were more new music. 

• I agree Stephanie, the hits have afforded them a career to stay on the road and keep the majority of fans happy the downside being they diluted the original concept. I could never have envisaged Chicago sharing a stage with REO back in the day the two bands were worlds apart. I understand the reasons but all of this has tainted their legacy. I was playing CTA (Poem) the other day and nobody could believe this was the same band that recorded 'Youre The Inspiration'. In reality it isn't.

• There's a scene with the VII cover that describes the transitions in the mid 70. So, we get the real story from the band. And without all the hits, they probably wouldn't be here today. They were all good songs, so I am thankful for them, even if I favor the more obscure and creative songs. 

This reply was deleted.