Forum

Now More Than Ever: The History of Chicago

We can meet in this thread to discuss the movie. I just think that a band with such a great history, so enduring over decades with so many hits and classic albums, deserves to have their history recognized and told honestly. I really think that's what we're going to get, and Peter Pardini has presented it in a very engaging style with interviews, vintage footage, and cinematic recreations with actors.

As RL fans, we all want to understand why his material was marginalized in the 80s. We'll hear his story, and a variety of other perspectives, and come to some closure.  

You need to be a member of Robert Lamm: Official Fan Forum to add comments!

Join Robert Lamm: Official Fan Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi James, I don't think Terry Kath has been put on a pedestal. I'm not too sure of your age but at the time Kath's guitar work was under valued by the press and fans. Although Hendrix made the famous quote Kath has only garnered the true recognition in the last few years. As you say he might have left during the period where the guitar became less prominent as they entered the middle of the road. If you haven't watched the Tanglewood show from 1970 - please watch it as Kath fronts up the band in their prime.

• I was 14 when Danny left Chicago. I remember Chicago lineup from the 90s but not really any earlier.  

• Yes I believe Foster is really what he appears to be, he loves himself, I've read his autobiography ( someone gifted it to me thinking I'd like it) he has an enormous ego. I was curious about the reference to when RL joined the group, he had a book of lyrics with at least 50 songs, if I could ask him I'd like to know did he already have completed music to go along with all those lyrics or did some of the music come about later as he got to know his band mates and their sound began to gel. His writing was just so damn powerful and enduring I'm constantly amazed at the depth of his talent and ability to connect and reach listeners.
  • On the Carnegie live record RL says to the audience in a sarcastic voice 'gee you maybe pop stars each and everyone of you' alluding to the fact that they were not interested in the pop trappings and excesses.

• I think he just meant that their cheers and applause were being recorded for the album. 

• Overall, I really enjoyed the documentary.  I watched it last night, and then had a little time today, to watch it again on DVR.  Lots of great stuff in it, but I was discouraged by the amount of time spent on the drug and alcohol issues.  I don't deny that they were there and prevalent, I just felt that the dead horse was being beaten again and again.  I felt so much of the 2 hours was consumed by covering this issue, that other things that I feel would be far more fascinating.  I do not mean to belittle the issue and the impact it caused, but it was covered repeatedly.  I wish that once it was made clear, topics that weren't covered were touched on.

I few things I would have loved to have seen discussed:

1. Critic's Choice - how they quickly evolved from darlings to scourges in the eyes of the critics,  I would have loved to hear opinions on this (I'm talking in the mid 70's - way before Street Player).

2.  Guercio once made a comment on how talented they were and how they could make an Opera album and do it well.  I would have loved to have a quick look at the various styles they covered over the years (jazz, big band, rock, classical, pop, disco, ...)

3.  Thoughts and opinions from group members on their favorite songs to perform, most proud of, wish they hadn't done, ...

4.  More thoughts on the fall off after Hot Streets other than we took too many drugs. 

5.  I agree with Andy, I would love to have had a better understanding of RL being put on a shelf in the 80's & 90's to a certain extent.

One final thought, it is too bad that Guercio, Champlin, Cetera & Dacus wouldn't participate.  I am sure they all have various levels of hurt regarding leaving, but they were part of the story, good or bad, right or wrong, and it would have been nice to have inclusion.  Maybe it wouldn't have been productive, but after all this time, these were people who where friends and co-workers for years and it would have been enjoyable.

Alright, one last thought, really.  Was Foster serious when he made the 16 Grammy comment?  First watch, I thought "What a JERK", but on my second watch, I thought he was doing it more in a "busting" way.  Either way, really a jerk, but was he really serious?

• What would a rock band from the '70's be without drugs and alcohol ??? Like it or not it's part of who they are/ were

Actually while I was watching it I was thinking what Oliver Stone (The Doors movie ) would have done to this story ???
    • The point is people like to romanticize about the 70s, but it wasn't all that romantic. Plus, the band deserves more appreciation for who they are right now, all the hard work and sacrifices. Of course, Robert made me sad when he talked about thinking about not doing it anymore. But whenever he does retire, it will be beyond well deserved. Overall, Chicago is much more than just the classic era IMHO. 

• Hi Stephanie!
      I know. It made me feel sad too when Robert said that sometimes he would like to not have to get on that stage but I agree with you that at the same time I know he has given everything he had and still does to the music industry, and his fans and he deserves a life with his family like everyone else. He says he would miss it and we know we will all miss him if and when he decides to stop touring. He is a legend in his own time!
    • Yeah, it seems like Robert and Jimmy love performing so much but the constant travel and living on the road is a drag. We know it is not glamorous and appreciate all their sacrifices!

This reply was deleted.