Now More Than Ever: The History of Chicago

We can meet in this thread to discuss the movie. I just think that a band with such a great history, so enduring over decades with so many hits and classic albums, deserves to have their history recognized and told honestly. I really think that's what we're going to get, and Peter Pardini has presented it in a very engaging style with interviews, vintage footage, and cinematic recreations with actors.

As RL fans, we all want to understand why his material was marginalized in the 80s. We'll hear his story, and a variety of other perspectives, and come to some closure.  

You need to be a member of Robert Lamm: Official Fan Forum to add comments!

Join Robert Lamm: Official Fan Forum

Email me when people reply –

• Hi, Franc.
      I saw Yes and Moody Blues when they first hit their fame & stride in the early 70s. That was the thing to do back then, see your favorite groups live. You never forget the thrill of seeing your favorite bands performing your favorite songs live, do you? Such a wonderful experience, sharing as it were the same air, the same moon or sun. You kind of feel related for 2 hrs!
      I also got to see 3 Dog Night, America, Elton John, ELP, & Seatrain in the 70s and I got to see Fleetwood Mac about 10 yrs ago, James Taylor about 25 yrs ago. We loved Creedence & ELO but never got to see them live.
      Have you seen any of these groups or others of that era?
    • Stephanie, I agree with you.  

I always loved ELP, now with two of them gone, I will never see them again,

So many of the bands I loved growing up, have lost members for various reasons or broken up.  I realize now that I am seeing a group for a different reason.  I have seen YES a couple of times, the last time I saw them was to see them play "FRAGILE" in its entirety, not realizing that Chris Squire would pass in 14 months.  I am so happy that I was able to see them again.

My son took me to see Kansas for my birthday in November.  They are revitalized with a new album out and a new lead singer.  They blew me away how fantastic they were.

I saw the Moody Blues ~ 11 years ago, and then immediately after the tour, Ray Thomas retired.  

I am watching shows differently now.  Appreciating them more.  Sadly, when I walk out I seem to breath a sigh and think "great, I got to see them before ... (fill in the blank with - death, retired, lost voice, ...) .

Also, I am on the fence about bands continuing as a shadow of what they once were.  I have no problem that YES does not have a single "original" member left. Howe has been there off & on for 40+ years, Downes 15+ and White 35+.  They hold true to the original yes almost as "keepers of the discography".  Each time they play, they are paying tribute to the sound and people that made Yes.

Conversely, you have a group such as Starchip, which used to be Jefferson Starship, and their new songs sound nothing like the Balin/Kantner/Slick songs.  Only when they play the old hits do they vaguely sound like Jefferson Starship.

So for me, it is the mindset of the band.  If 20 years from now, Howland, Imboden and Coffey are still appearing as Chicago, and still paying tribute to the "sound" of Chicago, I will be fine with it.  If they are now a Metal band or a rap band, I will have a problem with it. 

ELP's music didn't die when Emerson and Lake passed.  The music is still there, and a group of guys go on tour playing this music, paying tribute to these great artists, I will enjoy it.

• No Tina. When I was 12  I just could not imagine there being a Chicago in the year 2016. The Beach Boys had their 25th anniversary and that seemed like such a huge deal. Who knew any band could last this long, so I don't take it for granted that they have. 

• Pete, I was thinking it would be the year to splurge, so I started saving last year! 

• Wait *lol* are you saying Robert & the band are performing on borrowed time?
    • I was thinking maybe get out of your parents' basement.
    • A months pay on 2 shows ???

2 words - Money Management !
    • I've spent a month's pay on two shows, just for my tickets. When I was about 12 years old I would to think to myself, "when I am 40 everyone whose records I have will be gone." I'm now age 41, and I feel like it is borrowed time. I will be grateful for every song they decide to play. 

• No, not recently. I haven't gotten out to see many concerts in the past decade. I saw Steely Dan and Yes both once, and both bands I believe did this thing where they'd "play an album in its entirely" plus some other songs to fill out the night. Maybe that is something Chicago should do!  But they'd have to select what would be considered a "classic" album worth performing live in its entirety and running order. Could you IMAGINE if they attempted to play CTA, II, III, V or VII live today? Wow!  Sign me up!

• 'not weavers of synth-pad laden wallpaper backdrops to highlight just the vocals'  -James harsh but on the money, Chicago are / were top draw musicians - look at some of those 80s 90s videos they are dreadful. They became bit parts to Foster, Cumplin and Cetera's desire for the spotlight.

This reply was deleted.