Now More Than Ever: The History of Chicago

We can meet in this thread to discuss the movie. I just think that a band with such a great history, so enduring over decades with so many hits and classic albums, deserves to have their history recognized and told honestly. I really think that's what we're going to get, and Peter Pardini has presented it in a very engaging style with interviews, vintage footage, and cinematic recreations with actors.

As RL fans, we all want to understand why his material was marginalized in the 80s. We'll hear his story, and a variety of other perspectives, and come to some closure.  

You need to be a member of Robert Lamm: Official Fan Forum to add comments!

Join Robert Lamm: Official Fan Forum

Email me when people reply –

• Thanks, Stephanie. You summed it up brilliantly.
      James, I hope we can be friends. :)
    • Yes you are. There's no such thing as a pure music fan or even a pure musician. Everyone makes compromises and either fans live with them or stay home. IMHO.

• James, have you seen Chicago recently? I'm excited to. They do show their chops. It's clear to me that quality of their presentation and musical chops are very important to everyone in the band. 

• I've mentioned this phenomenon of "no original members left" before, and replacing singers with sound-alikes which - because they are close but not exact, for me somehow detracts from it because I can tell that is what they are trying to do. I mentioned many of the same bands.

But, do you not see a difference between a "tribute" band and a band that has completely changed its original lineup but continues to play the old stuff? With bands like Genesis, there are dozens of tribute bands that play exclusively the OLD material that the band seldom touched once they became super famous (and pop) in the 80's. Of course they've stopped touring and recording, too, but if they did do another reunion, which would be the "real" Genesis?

To keep it relevant to Chicago - if somehow all the surviving ORIGINAL members (including Cetera) got together to record an album and tour behind it - would THAT be the "real" Chicago, compared to the current accepted line up? And if not, what would they be classified as?

• *tears*
      Thank you. I don't deserve it.
    • Wow! You're from PA too? Which region, if that's not too personal?
      Isn't Chicago touring with the Doobies this Spring?
      I feel the same way as you do about their music and the Eagles', but I am in LOVE with Michael MacDonald's voice!
      I watched an excellent documentary on Netflix about the Eagles. I think it was almost 3 hrs long. As I learned more about the members and listened to their music again throughout the doc, I came to really appreciate their music and was amazed at how complex the songs really were, with such beautiful & poetic lyrics. But I still wouldn't buy their stuff to listen to regularly.
      I totally agree with you on respecting people's love for certain periods of Chicago's music, even if that music doesn't do anything for me. I enjoy watching them rock out to it! Several people on this forum love all phases of their music, and I find that ability to appreciate them across-the-board something akin to genius.
      I hope to be able to scratch together enough money for lawn seats when Chicago comes to Camden this summer. They're coming to Johnstown soon, I believe. Is that where you'd see them or are you like me, closer to Philly/Camden area shows?
      Your typically large Irish family sounds exactly like all the kids I hung around with when I was young. And they all went to expensive Catholic school, even though - hey, let's face it - living in the suburbs of Philly, nobody's dad was bringing home big paychecks. They were all pretty poor but they still went to Catholic school; and I, from a family with only 5 kids, could not.
      I liked hearing about you, Franc. I think they should create a permanent blog here where all members can tell something about themselves if they feel like sharing so that we can become more real as people to each other with more dimensions, don't you?
      Well, have a good night!
    • Hi Tina,

I am the youngest of 11 children (good Irish Catholics) with almost a 6 year difference between my youngest brother and myself.  I got into music by my 3rd oldest brother (5th in line) who played the drums and loved the British Invasion.  As I got into his record collection, I started leaning to the more Progressive British bands that he followed (Moodies, Yes, Jethro Tull, ELP).  As I go older, I enjoyed Jazz, Classical, Good rock and even some schmaltz (Carpenters!?!).  When "Progressive" rock hit, that is what I fell into.  I loved almost anything that came with a wall of sound, time changes, original sounds, great instrumentalists, and fantastic singers (hmm, Chicago ...).  I occasionally likes some perfect Pop song, but my tastes seemed to stretch to the more complex (confusing?)

I went to most Chicago tours from the mid 70's (saving money from my newspaper route) until the mid 90's.  Beach Boys, ELP, ELO, ELO II, Kansas, Ambrosia, Todd Rundgren, Yes, along with a number of Prog tours, Genesis, Steve Hackett, Arena, Marillion, Kino, Echolyn, Flower Kings, Transatlantic, Spocks Beard and many others that I cannot recall.

In 1981, my wife and I both attended the same Moody Blues concert on the Long Distance Voyager tour, but sadly didn't know each other yet.

My oldest son loves all my taste in music, including Chicago.  For a number of years, when he was in high school and college, he and I would go to the NEARFEST and ROSFEST, prog festivals in Pennsylvania.  Sadly, we haven't been in a few years.  Maybe this year is the year.

I never "got" or enjoyed some of the big acts in american radio.  I only can bear to listen to 4 Eagles songs.  Doobies = 3.  Fleetwood Mac - only 3 songs after Bob Welch left.  Steve Miller & James Taylor, fingernails on a chalk board.  

So many groups I would have loved to have seen live.  

I remember in the late 80's (I think the 88 tour), my wife and I were watching Chicago.  At the beginning of the show, RL announced to the crowd that they were seeing 2 shows.  One for their older fans and one for their newer fans.  As he finished saying this, he launched into Saturday in the Park.  The row in front of us, were two teenagers on a date. 17 at the oldest.  At no point did he give any indication that he wanted to be there, but although she was bored by the songs that I cherished, she came alive at the point I became less involved.  Hard to Say I'm Sorry, Inspiration, Hard Habit.  Although these songs do nothing for me, it struck me that these songs are as important and life changing to people as Beginning/25 or 6 to 4/Ballet were to me.  Yeah, when I have ponied up money for a couple of tickets, I would rather hear the set list I want to hear, but if I am honest with myself, I realize that Chicago is still famous and important to people because of each of their periods.  

• I apologize for that swipe.
      It's never funny making jokes at other people's expenses.
      Please forgive my unkindness.
    • No problem, I was kidding
This reply was deleted.